Haiti Seeks Reparations From France.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Highly unlikely they will get reparations in the amount they wish, and hopefully they will get nothing. We are not responsible for the sins of our ancestors. One of 12th great-grandfathers was involved in the British Transatlantic Slave trade. One of his daughters married a shipwright and they immigrated to the colonies, Boston to be exact and never owned any slaves. His daughter and the shipwrights are my 11th GG parents and I am related through my mother's side. None of those capitalized for her father being a slaver. She inherited nothing, as she had older brothers that got everything. Slavery was an awful thing and reparations to people that were actually slaves is justified. To their ancestors, nope.

Reactions: cavok

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Not about slavery.
Highly unlikely they will get reparations in the amount they wish, and hopefully they will get nothing. We are not responsible for the sins of our ancestors. One of 12th great-grandfathers was involved in the British Transatlantic Slave trade. One of his daughters married a shipwright and they immigrated to the colonies, Boston to be exact and never owned any slaves. His daughter and the shipwrights are my 11th GG parents and I am related through my mother's side. None of those capitalized for her father being a slaver. She inherited nothing, as she had older brothers that got everything. Slavery was an awful thing and reparations to people that were actually slaves is justified. To their ancestors, nope.
Not about slavery.

"France should repay billions of dollars in reparations to Haiti to cover a debt formerly enslaved people were forced to pay in return for recognizing the island's independence".
Haitians want their money back plus 200 years of interest. LMFAO

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
dropping pallets of cash into a country has been tried before (Afghanistan) and it failed.
talking about a lot of cash.... just asl Bill Clinton to release the hundreds of millions he collected for Haiti in the name of the Clinton foundation...he has said he will when the time is right....this is the right time...........

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
There were Rumors a little while back that Haiti has massive Gold Deposits underground ..
Was there any truth to that at all. I would think they would have dug it up by now..?
It IS possible tho, because there are supposedly Rivers in the DR where you can literally pan for gold .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There were Rumors a little while back that Haiti has massive Gold Deposits underground ..
Was there any truth to that at all. I would think they would have dug it up by now..?
It IS possible tho, because there are supposedly Rivers in the DR where you can literally pan for gold .
It isn’t much of a rumor. There were 2 gold deposits discovered in the San Juan Valley or in the mountains north of the valley, but facing the valley. Both are large deposits, one entirely in the DR. The other has a small part in the DR (and that’s where the discovery took place). But the bulk is in Haiti as the deposit crosses the border.

With all the gold deposits discovered in the DR plus what exist in Pueblo Viejo (which is estimated to be worth several billions of dollars, many more than the DR’s current debt), the DR is the country with the most gold in the Western Hemisphere and among the top 5 or top 10 in the world. When the Tainos told Columbus that the gold came from the Cibao, they were right! Much of the gold discovered is in the Central Mountains or an offshoot from those mountains, such as Pueblo Viejo. The original Cibao was not the valley, it was those very same mountains with the gold.

Anyway, a nice chunk goes into Haiti. Whether they are taking advantage of that potential remains to be seen since the Haitians are experts as letting potential go to waste. Look at beach tourism. Anyone that says Haiti doesn’t have the beaches that international tourists look for as far as beach vacations in the Caribbean doesn’t know what they are talking about. Haiti is one of the least visited countried on the planet when it should be one of the most visited. Haiti isn’t Moldova or Afghanistan where they can put all the efforts to become one of the most visited countries on the planet, if dependent on natural resources it will never get there. Haiti is in a different league when it comes to this, but some effort is required to get it going.

Lets say Haiti never takes advantage of the gold deposit which is in their side. Rest assure the Dominicans will not be building a tunnel to get that gold underground but coming to light in the DR. Of course not. :rolleyes:

The amount of money worth in the entire gold deposits of Hispaniola is insane. It literally is the El Dorado. Haiti could forget about the debt paid to France way back when.

Reactions: jd426

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Yes. The Pueblo Viejo mine has another 30+ years of reserves. Gold, Silver and other metals. The mining of gold from the ore is a complex chemical and autoclave operation that employes thousands. Many people watch these reality shows and see some yahoos jiggling and washing dirt and think that is the process. The Pueblo Viejo is one of the top producing mines in the world

• Wow

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
2 very good Points , and Proof that Haiti just can not seem to stop self inflicting problems

The Tourism Money alone would be insane .. and create so many Jobs.
Even if the Hotels were Fenced in with armed guards like they do in Jamaica .. people would still come to stay at a Nice Hotel with a Pristine Beach .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are hundreds of pristine beaches here in the Caribbean. One is the same as the other. Why go to Haiti?

Reactions: Big

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Haiti is not gonna get a penny, if they did half of Africa would be next in line asking for theirs, and if France gave back the wealth they stole and are still stealing from their colonies they'd be as poor as Haiti.

Reactions: Squat

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
There are hundreds of pristine beaches here in the Caribbean. One is the same as the other. Why go to Haiti?
A good Marketing and PR Company could answer this question very quickly .
It would all be in the Marketing, and then the execution.

Enjoy a wonderful Vacation with a Pristine Beach, and Help the People of Haiti, put your Money where your mouth is ..
Simple as that .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A good Marketing and PR Company could answer this question very quickly .
It would all be in the Marketing, and then the execution.

Enjoy a wonderful Vacation with a Pristine Beach, and Help the People of Haiti, put your Money where your mouth is ..
Simple as that .
I think that's a long shot(?). Conan and the MSM already tried that and it didn't work.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That’s like saying Labadee could had been in Cuba. Yes, but it’s in Haiti and that’s fine for the cruise ships that go there.