Dominican foreign minister calls for controls to those who finance the chaos and export firearms to Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Roberto-Alvarez-N-Digital.jpeg

Foreign Minister Roberto Álvarez once more appeared before the Security Council of the United Nations to emphasize the high cost the Dominican Republic bears of the chaos in Haiti.

“The Dominican Republic has maintained solidarity with Haiti despite the sacrifice this implies. Now, we cannot go beyond our material possibilities and even less adopt measures that threaten the stability and security of our country. We simply will not allow it, no matter who asks for it.”

Along the same lines, during his speech at the periodic meeting of this body to address the Haitian situation, Foreign Minister Álvarez expressed that the Dominican government has continued to provide its collaboration, most recently, with the evacuation through its territory of personnel from the United Nations and other organizations, as well as diplomats and nationals from more than a dozen countries, including...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree that it is really important that the USA clamps down on the arms supply. If the criminals don't have guns and ammunition, they can't continue their destruction of the country.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
From my understanding, the USA is essentially the only supplier of arms to Haiti. To add salt to injury, the Americans aren’t the ones buying and exporting the arms to Haiti, but rather wealthy Haitians that live in the USA and have deals with several of the Haitian gangs in Port-au-Prince. The Haiti connection starts not leaving US soil. :unsure:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
But of course. It must be the fault of someone else that the country is defunct.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
He speaks very good English. He did lived in the USA for many years before returning to the DR and now involved in the Dominican government.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
He speaks very good English. He did lived in the USA for many years before returning to the DR and now involved in the Dominican government.
He speak very good English and he is very accurate in each one of his answers.
I like the last one, el hombre no cae en gancho.

JJ

Reactions: NALs and Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stopping illegal guns is a bit like stopping illegal drugs. Lots of money to be made, so it will continue by hook or by crook.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If making the gangs a part of the new government is a condition, then the conditions will not change for the better.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Up close and personal with the alleged leader of the most powerful gang. No shortage of automatic weapons on display.

I don't know which is scarier.
The guns or the masks.
Horrific situation.
I sure wouldn't be venturing into that territory.
A lot of what he says makes some sense - that is that you cannot keep repeating the cycle of the country being in the hands of the corrupt elite and the politicians chosen by them and foreigners. However, nothing he says can justify the unspeakable violence and destruction waged on innocent people.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
A lot of what he says makes some sense - that is that you cannot keep repeating the cycle of the country being in the hands of the corrupt elite and the politicians chosen by them and foreigners. However, nothing he says can justify the unspeakable violence and destruction waged on innocent people.
At 06:30 in the video, he says..."Look at actions over words."
His words bely his actions.
He is power tripping, as are his lieutenants.
The interior of his house reminds me of something.
I can't quite put my finger on it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Haiti's needs to be recolonized as they have repeatedly shown the rest of the world they are not capable of governing themselves.
Perhaps it can be broken down and walled-off into camps under a very heavily armed enforcement. They first need to be tamed and civilized prior to having any say in their nations future.

Reactions: Big