Rice Have Heavy Metals in it???

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
News source says DR confirms there is no heavy metals in rice that is grown in DR so which by means all rice up here in the states must have them?

Now I think everything is dangerous and not safe anymore to eat.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
“We determined the concentrations of toxic and essential elements in rice and other grains (lentils, barleys, beans, oats, wheat, and peas) grown in the United States (US) and other countries using Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICPMS). Results showed that median concentrations (in µg/kg) for toxic elements in white rice from the US were 131, 2.8, and 6.5 for arsenic (As), lead (Pb), and cadmium (Cd), respectively”

Thai, Italian and Indian rice have even more of these elements.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
“We determined the concentrations of toxic and essential elements in rice and other grains (lentils, barleys, beans, oats, wheat, and peas) grown in the United States (US) and other countries using Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICPMS). Results showed that median concentrations (in µg/kg) for toxic elements in white rice from the US were 131, 2.8, and 6.5 for arsenic (As), lead (Pb), and cadmium (Cd), respectively”

Thai, Italian and Indian rice have even more of these elements.
Sounds delicious!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Should I start growing my own rice?
I have no facts but I feel that this is going to the same direction as stories like if you knew how sugar is made white, you would never use that again (only brown sugar), or if you saw what made paper towels white, you would never again wrap any food into them or touch food with them... Unless there is a recall of any food product (so a potential real health risk), I'd personally rather not know many details of how the items we use in the kitchen are produced/processed...

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
News source says DR confirms there is no heavy metals in rice that is grown in DR so which by means all rice up here in the states must have them?
Keep in mind there are many foods grown differently in the USA and not necessarily always due to its growing fase, but the treatment it gets afterwards.

Take chicken eggs as an example. In the DR you can leave chicken eggs on the counter at room temperature. In fact, in supermarkets the eggs cartons are out in the open. In the US eggs cartons are in the fridge in supermarkets and at home you have to keep them refrigerated. Why? Dominican eggs basically go from the chicken nest straight to the cartons while in the US the eggs go through a cleaning process where a water with some chemical is sprayed on them. That water breaks and remove a thin almost microscopic “lense” type layer that covers the egg. Among the things that “lense” does is prevent the eggs from getting infected by bacteria. That’s why in the US eggs have to be refrigerated to slow down any bacteria growth and multiplication while in the DR they can be at room temperature without the risk of going bad before time and/or causing health issues.

I wouldn’t be surprised if US grown rice has something different from rice grown in the DR. Americans invent too much. Some times if something isn’t broken, leave it alone! lol

Now I think everything is dangerous and not safe anymore to eat.
Life expectancy is quite high. If the general food was dangerous, that wouldn’t be the case.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I have no facts but I feel that this is going to the same direction as stories like if you knew how sugar is made white, you would never use that again (only brown sugar), or if you saw what made paper towels white, you would never again wrap any food into them or touch food with them... Unless there is a recall of any food product (so a potential real health risk), I'd personally rather not know many details of how the items we use in the kitchen are produced/processed...
I stopped paying attention when they did a segment on "why cold water may be bad for you"

I avoid processed foods and live my life.

Jan 9, 2004
Should I start growing my own rice?
Not to worry as this publicity in the DR press is really designed to allow government push back on US rice imports as the DR/CAFTA protection for DR rice sunsets and as US rice exporters look to the DR as an export market source.

So called heavy metals, arsenic is one, is found in rice through out the world coming naturally from the soil. The amounts are not enough to be concerned about, but enough to scare the population from buying imported rice from the US and perhaps elsewhere.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2