Can't pay overstay fee in cash now??

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I'm reading reports from travelers that were asked to pay their overstay fees with a card when leaving the DR. Apparently there are now signs in Dominican airports telling foreigners that only credit or debit card payments are accepted... NO MORE CASH.
Is this true? Any official link or news article about this new regulation?

I didn't think the DR would get onboard the "phasing out of cash" trend seen in western countries so fast.

People may not have credit cards for various reasons. I can't have one due to an old personal bankruptcy from 5 years ago.
I just paid cash in Santo Domingo airport two weeks ago.

Reactions: Garyexpat

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Charge it then call your credit card company and say it was an unauthorized charge once you get on board - you can't cancel cash
The CC company will not know on that date you were in the DR flying back to the USA/Canada? How do most people buy airplane tickets?

Your cell phone service company certainly knows where you are. Among many things, roaming is quite juicy for them.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Many US airports have installed reverse (inverse) ATMs where you insert USD bills and out comes a card. I have seen them at JFK, MCO & MIA. I believe this started during the pandemic.. airlines no longer accept cash. I tried it once at MCO bought a flight back to SDQ on the Visa card no issues. May not work in the DR with pesos bills just now, but may do soon.

Reactions: cavok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Won't work, my cards have name and number just printed.
Apple credit cards don’t even have the number printed and they are made of titanium. You might only get a rectangle imprint in those things. lol

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
That's the thing, I'm not even sure about debit cards being accepted.... many people have been reporting they take credit cards only.

It's still all hearsay at this point because no official announcement.
They accept debit cards,I've used one dozens of times.

Reactions: josh2203

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Live in fear. I used my debit card at the petrolstation in Villa Hermosa today. I also used it at the coffee shop at the Axiom station just before the turn off to Bayahibe.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Debit cards scare me here. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't use them ever for purchases. ATM cash at either Bank Resevas or Scotia bank.
Same here. We only use ScotiaBank ATMs in POP, those are all indoors with a guard directly outside. Sometimes we've used La Nacional ATMs on the Beller due to cost saving, but those are not that private... Banco Popular used to have a nice rate for EUR/DOP conversion, but many times I have seen that ScotiaBank actually has a better rate... It does not compare to a casa de cambio or sending by WU, but still...

I might be paranoid, but I have also not used cards for any purchases the last decade or so in the DR... Actually, no, I used my debit card at BMCargo during the pandemic, but the way their POP branch operates, gave me confidence to do that and they did not disappoint me.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Paying where there is a machine you operate yourself and no one handles or sees your card is safe enough here to use. For example any Supermarket checkout with a machine. Never give your card to anyone to pay and you should be fine.............And never use at a gas station..........